Friday, January 14, 2011

The C Book

I'm a self-taught programmer.  I've used QBasic, Matlab, NQC, AutoLISP, Visual Basic and some others.  I have nearly always been able to find good resources when learning, but unfortunately RobotC documentation isn't really always what it should be.  When I was learning RobotC, I not only had to learn the code and syntax related NXT functions, but the code for C which I had no experience with at all.  RobotC gives you very little of that and the little that they do give you is in the sample programs so you have to reverse engineer the code with trial and error a lot of times.  I went to the bookstore and found a really good book, but I was shocked when I saw the price tag over $60.

Recently I did a search and I found a really good resource for common C code.  It's actually a book that was published in 1991.  The best part about it is that it is free and completely online.  They have done this because the book is no longer in print, and frankly it is outdated, but much of the code is still relevant.  On this site you can download a PDF file of the book as well, but personally I just keep a link to the webpage handy.

Here is an excerpt from the Table of Contents page
This is the online version of The C Book, second edition by Mike Banahan, Declan Brady and Mark Doran, originally published by Addison Wesley in 1991. This version is made freely available.

While this book is no longer in print, its content is still very relevant today. The C language is still popular, particularly for open source software and embedded programming. We hope this book will be useful, or at least interesting, to people who use C.
Here is a link to The C Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment