Sunday, September 19, 2010

Air Powered Car

Checking out TechnicBricks today I found a really neat invention by Barry Bosman. Why do I like it so much? Because I absolute hate all those single purpose body molding panel things that come with many newer Technic sets.  I have a whole container full of them and I store them right beside a box of Znap parts.  If I do build the set, I use those parts once and them throw them into the box never to be seen again.

But now that I know that they can be used as a fan blade, I will have to blow the dust off that box and check them out.


Air powered car-3

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    First,I'd like to say that I'm a great fan of your blog, It's awesome...

    Second, I was wondering If you could develop some powerfull fans I would be very interested in having a look at them!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eduardo, Thanks for the cool words. That's what keeps me going.

    I was just messing around with this idea. I actually think that what is shown in the video is just about as powerful as you can make it. It uses the most powerful motor, the largest panels and a fast gearing. Note that he has the panels tilted relative to the plane of rotation. That is really important for this to work.

    The only suggestion that I might add is that 6 blades might work a little better, but that takes some of the torque away from the motor so the blades wouldn't turn as fast. That was the case in the version that I just built. But I think that the 6 blade version put out more air, but the motor was noticably working harder.

    ReplyDelete