Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Flood of 2011

Our household had a minor catastrophe earlier this week.  First we had a bunch of snow over the weekend, and then some warm weather to melt the snow, and on top of that buckets and buckets of rain.  The result was about 3-5 inches of water in my basement.  It doesn’t sound like much, but our basement is a completely finished basement that could be easily converted into a full apartment.  We have a kitchen, bathroom, two living areas, a bedroom and of course, my Lego room (gasp).  The entire basement is (was) carpeted and fully furnished.  Four people spent about 12 hours ripping out carpet, moving stuff upstairs and out into the garage and into our storage shed.  Bad day, really bad day.  But the good news is that we called our insurance company and we are covered for all expenses, but we still have months to spend recovering. 
I sit right now in our basement with several heaters and fans running, trying to dry out everything so we can get started with the work.  

One third of my Lego is in the garage, one third is still in the Lego room, and one third is in various places around the house.  I won’t be working on my robot for a while (sadness).

Here’s a photo of the moment we started working on the Lego room.  A friend is cutting out the carpet.

And here are photos of the Lego room today, as well as the robot, which it seems will definitely have to come apart yet again in order to lay down carpet and complete renovations.



So please bear with me.  You may see limited activity and posts here for a while, but I don't think I can keep away from my passion so I won't be gone for long.

2 comments:

  1. I feel some of your pain... Our basement flooded less than half an inch, all over. The outlet pipe for our sump pump was frozen and we didn't catch it in time. Had to rip out all the carpet, and the padding was soaked even a week after. Finally got the humidity down to 40% this morning, and I installed new flooring on Sunday.

    I hope your recovery goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of your flood, hope it all gets sorted smoothly.

    ReplyDelete