Monday, April 26, 2010

The Last Rubik's Cube Video I Will Ever Post

...unless it's cool.

This one is cool because it can do 2x2x2 up to 5x5x5.



A couple of things have got me thinking about these creations.  The first is that the builder uses an old Vision Command camera.  I happen to have one of those, and it is stored in a plastic box at the top of my Lego shelf.  I would love to get that involved in some of my robots.  Does anyone have any experience in hacking that thing?

The second thing I noticed is written on the description of the robot.
The application uses a generic algorithm that can solve a cube of any dimension limited only by RAM and time. It has been tested with software models of cubes up to 100x100x100.

I suspected that this was the case.  I wondered if the solution algorithm changed every time the dimension changed.  What this means to me is that there is little difference between a solver that does a 3x3x3 and a solver that does 33x33x33.  Both are equally impressive, but the software is essentially the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment